Sunday, September 30, 2012

Community Relations - Week 5 update

Here is an update on my Action Research Project. I have not made any changes since my updated post in June, however, I have made progress on the project.


After many discussions with my principal, we finally narrowed my research down to a manageable topic. As always, I am very broad with topics of research. She clarified how a leader must take the time to look at one specific aspect of a project in order to find a definitive solution, rather than grazing the top of several problems.

The final project is titled “How will the implementation of CHAMPS affect Tier behaviors and math scores in 4th graders at Story Elementary”.  Two of the 4th grade teachers will be helping me collect my data to be analyzed. For the first semester, I will look at the Tier behaviors; Tier 1 behaviors are everyday behaviors with reminders to stay on task or to stop talking; Tier 2 behaviors are repetitive behaviors that continue after discussing with parents, or detention; Tier 3 behaviors are severe behaviors exhibited that create a dangerous environment, results in suspension, or result in expulsion. After analyzing school data, I will analyze math scores for the first 9 weeks. After organizing the data from the first semester, I will wait to look at data at the end of the year.

In January, the teachers will be trained through Region 10 on the CHAMPS behavior management program. Once the 2 day training has been completed, teacher will implement the CHAMPS program during the month of January.  I have already been trained in the program, so I will be the teacher’s resource if questions or concerns about the program arise.

In May, when the last 9 weeks grades have been turned in, I will begin the 2nd phase of my project. I will analyze the Tier behaviors in the same manner completed after the first 9 weeks. I will also look at the math scores from the last 9 weeks. All information will be compiled in an organized manner for review.

Once the data has been organized, I will compare the Tier behaviors from the first 9 weeks and the last 9 weeks. I will also compare math scores of each student to identify if scores increased or decreased. I will then look at the students who have Tier 2 and 3 behaviors to see if behaviors and math scores have a correlation.

Once the data is compiled, I will give an in-service on my findings when we return in August. I want to present the staff with the data found to solidify the school’s behavior management change.

No comments:

Post a Comment